Wallpaper

Russian Visa online

RC Clubs
Code your Mac
Manuals

Main Forum Page | Start new Thread | Edit your AD | Search Forum

Why are Russian fighters so big?
Thursday, October 21, 2004 (00:39 AM)

Reply to this threadRSS Feed 1 | 2   Next...
Posted by
whocares (25)
Edit
Why are Russian fighters so big?
Im just curious to any ideas why Russian fighters are designed so heavy. If anyone has the real explanation for the reason then let me know.

Posted by
whocares (25)
Edit
RE: Why are Russian fighters so big?
Posted: October 21, 2004 (10:41 PM)
What about mid-air refueling? And as for increased weapons loads, more hard points under the wings and fuselage coupled with a good power plant takes care of that problem. Oh well. You do have a good point though.

Posted by
Karakondzhul (6)
Edit
Posted: October 22, 2004 (7:41 AM)
No,
Let's take an example: USA and USSR wanted to have a heavy and a light fighter jets. So in USA were born the F-15 (heavy multirole) and F-16 (lighter jet and cheaper). The counter result in USSR was the heavy Su-27 and the lighter MiG-29.
This was the concept from the end of the 80-s.
So it is not very accurate to say that russian fighter jets are too big. Simply the big jets are F-15, Su-27, Tornado. The lighters are MiG-29, F-16.

Posted by
anticommi (33)
Edit
Posted: October 22, 2004 (8:01 AM)
Karakondzhul,
You forgot to include F-14 there. It's quite big and heavy.

On the other hand, Su-27K (Carrier based version) takes-off fully loaded without cat. Try to do the same with F-14 or F-18 - you'll be fishing them out of the Ocean :-)

Posted by
anticommi (33)
Edit
Posted: October 26, 2004 (9:19 PM)
yeap, I agree, in the 50-th size did matter. I have a couple of questions though:
How is that three times heavier Su-30 outmaneuvers light F-15 2.5 times and future F-22 2 times?
How's stupid and old Russian electronics beat every aspect of modernized American technology in radars and military navigation?
How's that that nuclear Russian submarine faster than fastest American torpedo?
How's that that Russian modern torpedo 5 times faster than fastest American torpedo?

It was always trial and error for American Military "Intelligence" to see that maybe Russians are not good enough. Let's fly U-2 as they do not have missiles that'll fly that high while first russian AAA flew higher than any military aircraft today.

The question is why? Do you have an answer?
And how come you can't spell?

Posted by
Military (2)
Edit
Posted: September 6, 2005 (3:14 PM)
Wow.ridiculous, but amazing argumentation.

The U.S. is technologically advanced. No doubt about that. The Russians are also technologically advanced. There's no doubt about that, either. Each side has its ups and its downs. It's practical. Get used to it.

Russians are, in more ways than one, superior to Americans. If you take into account all military considerations, Russia has the biggest biological and chemical weapons' arsenal in the world; it has the biggest stockpile of nuclear weapons, tactical and otherwise. It's Russia who built the only missile to completely and effectively render the American defences incapable -- the Sunburn -- and the U.S. initiated proceedings to ban it.

Now, we could go on and on about this topic and still get nowhere. Truth is, there are both +ve and -ve points on both sides of the flair -- there are some areas where the U.S. is advanced. There are some areas where Russia is advanced. However, present circumstances in mind, although the Russian economy is in shambles, the Russian military is far more superior and powerful in the world than of any other country. And bear in mind that superiority is not guaranteed by what you incorporate into a system. You could very well build a kitchen in a fighter plane and that would be laughable. It is that which matters in a combat scenario, heavyweight or lightweight, that matters and with that in mind, Russians rule the world right now.

Oh, and did I forget the whole idea of 'suitcase nukes' from Russia, that still work, by the way?

Posted by
Greek (44)
Edit
Posted: January 20, 2006 (9:54 AM)
Hang on a minute anticommi! I can understand the rest of the points in your last post, but I really can't swallow the "How's that that nuclear Russian submarine faster than fastest American torpedo?" Which Russian sub is faster than which American torpedo?

Posted by
JoeHQ (1)
Edit
Posted: January 20, 2006 (3:06 PM)
No submarine can, practically, be faster than a torpedo. Particularly, if you're talking about military submarines, it defeats the purpose if the submarine is so easily detectable. The bigger the mass, the more force it requires to propel faster, or generate a bigger velocity. The smaller the mass, the smaller the force it requires to propel faster; the relationship here is that of direct proportion.

If a military submarine can be detected, and it can be due to its sheer size, and moving fast, it is really tactical stupidity. Russians may be a lot of things, but they're not tactically stupid.

Posted by
Rogue (2)
Edit
Posted: June 26, 2006 (8:12 AM)
For intimidation perhaps? Even the AK47 outweighs the M16, thought u shoud know.
Where can one get a fair comparison of US-Russian weapons? Any good webpages? Thanx

Posted by
Stinger (1)
Edit
Posted: September 2, 2006 (8:51 AM)
I noticed everybody is trying to make it look like Russian technology is more effective then America's.lol. This is my first post on here, I named myself stinger because in the Russian Afghan conflict, the c.i.a pretty much just gave the Afghan's just one simple shoulder launched missile to push back the so called mighty Russian army. My point is, it's not the size that matter's, it's the quality and effeciency of your weapon system's. As far as it goes as Russian fighter's being so big, again it's not the size that matter's so, no offense this is kind of a weird bulletin post.

Posted by
MarlboroManX (48)
Edit
Posted: April 21, 2008 (5:43 AM)
Just had to point out one thing anticommi is wrong about.

Nothing taking off of the Admiral Kuzenestov and its ski jump can do so with a full load. They are restricted to air-superiority mussions. Attack craft with a load of bombs would crash into the sea with such a short landing field even with a ski-jump.

F-14's and F-18's can and do take off of the carrier with a full weapons loadout. (F-14 with six Phoneix Missiles just in case you doubt me) They can do this because of the catapult.

Reply to this threadRSS Feed 1 | 2   Next...

Main Forum Page | Start new Thread | Edit your AD | Search Forum

Home | Book a Flight | Flight Prices | Special Offers! | Price Guarantee | Price a Flight | - Order Process | Calendar | Zero-G Flights | Gift Certificates | Hotels | Spb. Hotels

Why FlyMiG.Com? | Aircraft | In the Media | Contact Us | Questions | Flight Stories | About Us | MAKS 2003 | MAKS 2005 | Updates

Avia X-change | Aviation Forum | Cool Stuff | Affiliates | Mail Lists | iPod | PostCards | Search | Links | Pilots

Del.icio.usDiggYahoo.RedditSlashDotTechnoratiTwitterBlinkListConnoteaFaceBookFurlGoogle.NewsVinePropeller.StumbleUponWindows Live

Honda CRX Si | Manuals |
   Copyright © FlyMiG.Com™ 2002 - 2024